A family bond is like no other. It is important for your child’s development as well as studies have shown that children who are raised in strong families fare better on a number of cognitive, emotional and behavioral outcomes. Here are some ways to increase that family bond which will benefit both you and your children:
- Schedule family meal time: With everyone having different schedules, it can be difficult to get the family together for meal time. Scheduling in advance or having a few days a week that are set for having family meal time will be beneficial, and don’t forget to turn off that TV!
- Responsibilities: Creating chores and tasks for everyone will create a sense of responsibility for everyone in the family.
- Encourage support, share often: Share when something is going well and encourage your children to do the same. On the other side, when something does not go well, encourage your children to share that as well. An open and honest family will be able to build a solid support foundation for the good times and the bad times.
- Volunteer together: Giving your time to make someone else’s life better is a great experience. Experiencing it as a family will bring you closer together.
- Contributions from everyone: When planning an activity or vacation, have the children contribute as well. By making everyone a part of the planning, each person will feel they are an integral part of the family.
- Activities: Whether it is family game night, or family movie night, spending time doing activities will not only be fun but bring the family closer together.